Bill 168, An Act to amend the Occupational Health and Safety Act with respect to violence and harassment in the workplace will come into force on June 15, 2010.
Bill 168 requires every employer in Ontario, where more than five workers are employed, to take specific steps, including developing a violence risk assessment and implementing a policy and program, to prevent and manage workplace violence and harassment.
This half day seminar, developed by Norm Keith, – presented by Gowlings’ lawyers and OHS Consultants, will provide a detailed legal analysis of Bill 168 and outline a practical plan for compliance.
– Legal duties of employers, officers, directors and supervisors to prevent and manage workplace violence
– Types of liability for failing to protect workers from workplace violence and harassment
– Defining workplace violence and harassment
– Identifying and assessing workplace violence risks
– How to conduct a workplace violence risk assessment
– Drafting a workplace violence/harassment policy
– How to develop a comprehensive prevention program
– Dealing with work refusals related to violence and harassment
– Worker training
– Incident management and reporting
– Disciplining workers for violence/harassment
Upon completion, the participant will be able to:
– Increase awareness of workplace violence and harassment and the harmful impacts on organizations and their employees
– Translate legislative requirements into active compliance
– Provide practical, hands-on solutions and tools
All participants will receive a complementary copy of a sample workplace violence and harassment policy. Participants will also receive a copy of Bill 168, the 2004 Criminal Victimization in the Workplace Survey completed by Statistics Canada, a copy of the jury recommendations from the Lori Dupont and OC Transpo inquests and a research memorandum on the legal issues related to Bill 168.
Norm Keith and Goldie Bassi are authors of The Human Resources Guide to Preventing and Managing Workplace Violence, the only book of its kind in Ontario to include Bill 168 requirements.
At each seminar there will be a complimentary book draw for a copy of The Human Resources Guide to Preventing and Managing Workplace Violence co-authored by Norm Keith and Goldie Bassi.
October 26, 2010 – Toronto
November 9, 2010 – Hamilton
November 30, 2010 – Mississauga
Length: Half Day
Time: 9:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m.
Fee: $275 per person, plus GST
Human resource managers, health and safety managers, supervisors, office managers and committee members.
Register multiple individuals from the same organization to attend the same course on the same date(s) and save: $75 per person when 2 or more register or save $100 per person when 4 or more register.
Certification maintenance points are rewarded by the following organizations:
– Human Resources Professionals Association (HRPA)
Are You a Target of Workplace Bullying?Download Our Bestselling Resource:
What Every Target of Workplace Bullying Needs to Know
Learn how to avoid the traps, stop bullies in their tracks and get your life back. More Info.
Thank you for the excellent resource and insight. Reading your book has been so helpful to me. What a blessing it is to find there are people who care and are passionate about helping. - reader feedback